Saturday, January 23, 2010

SAG Winners

BEST ENSEMBLE: Inglourious Basterds
BEST ACTOR: Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart
BEST ACTRESS: Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Mo'Nique, Precious
BEST STUNT ENSEMBLE: Star Trek





Oh Actors, oh actors...how can you be so right and so wrong at the same time! You had an enviable (if predictable) streak going of quality, kick-ass winners, and then just to be difficult you add more credibility to the notion of Sandra Bullock becoming a potential Oscar spoiler...and don't get me wrong, it would be a spoiler, not a worthy surprise. And I don't want to sound mean, since Ms. Bullock is an infinitely likable performer, nor do I want to sound like I'm attacking. I may be not fan of red, white and blue cheese that consisted of The Blind Side, but if I honestly felt that there was much credence in acknowledging her work over the work of Meryl Streep, or Gabourey Sidibe, or even Carey Mulligan (and mind you, I didn't like An Education much either), I'd back off. But it's not...

Anyway, I'm done being cruel-- the rest were delightful and completely worthy. Bridges, Waltz, and Mo'Nique will, forgoeing some strange calamity, be your eventual Oscar winners, which I'm more than fine with. And for once, the actors understood what the world ensemble meant and choose the best one with Inglourious Basterds-- damn all those European actors were crazy awesome (Waltz, Fassbender, Bruhl, Laurant.) It almost makes up for last year's unfortunate case of Slumdog fever.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...