Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Green Hornet



Quite simply one of the most irritating movie trailers I've seen in some time.  I'm never entirely hopeful of films like this, but when director Michel Gondry (a conjureror of the amazing Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and the interesting The Science of Sleep) signed up, I felt a certain interest build.  The problem here is that none the abundant personality of Mr. Gondry seems to be evident in The Green Hornet, instead we are treated to tease of Seth Rogan's customary shtick and unassuming action sequence glimpses, plus a two-second appearance of Cameron Diaz.

The laughable part is at the very end, "In 3-D" pronouncement.  When I saw the joyous Toy Story 3 a couple of days ago I felt burdened by trailer after trailer with the similar phrase attached at the end.  It almost felt like an announcement, "Yep, come see this flick, and pay an extra $3 to $5 dollars a ticket while you're at it, gotcha."  My point is, nothing at least in early incarnation seems to be gained by putting The Green Hornet in 3-D, so why bother.  It's a problem I have with a lot of recent films last minute being retrofitted in to 3-D.  It feels more and more like a pathetic and desperate move on the part of the studios to try and make as much dough as possible on opening weekend, before assuming moviegoers realize we have a stinker.

Not to bark up on 3-D-- in the past year, films as lovely and varied as Coraline and Avatar proved that there's certainly an artistic state in the medium, but it should surely be perserved for the bonafide pieces of entertainment that promise to use it for good and not evil.  Personally, I think Michel Gondry seems an ideal filmmaker to toy with 3-D, unfortunately, I don't think The Green Hornet is an ideal vehicle.  Am I crazy, or fussy?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...