Thursday, July 22, 2010

Let Me In

The unveiling of the poster to Let Me In, a film it must be noted, I'm sort of opposed to.  First off, it's a remake of the 2008's Swedish delight, Let the Right One In, perhaps the finest vampire film in the past decade-- my humble apologies to the Twilight contingent and the True Blood-ites.  Netflix subscribers, it's currently available on instant play and an absolute must see for genre followers, as well as film lovers (and it's at #204 on IMDb's Top 250 list, for extra cool points.)  What I'm opposed too mostly is that I don't believe an American remake will particularly add anything (and the moniker, "from the director of Cloverfield," doesn't exactly make me pin either-- no offense to the film or it's fans.)  It's a subtle, beautifully crafted piece of suspenseful storytelling, that for the most part, I nervously think won't translate particularly well.  Of course, perhaps if the film works at all more people will check out the inspiration, and will be awed, and it's a film worthy awe-ing.  The remake stars tween de jour, Chloe Moretz, of Kick-Ass and (500) Days of Summer fame (I'm still on the fence about her; liked Hit Girl however), and Kodi Smit-McPhee (The Road.)  The only piece of casting that I kind of love is Richard Jenkins in the role of "The Father,"-- it kind of seems perfect to those who have seen the original, right?  And although, I'm hating on this film rather hard at the moment, I kind of dig the poster, and the trailer (posted below), while seemingly hitting all the original's beats seems well put together.  So, I'll be cringing all the way to theater, when I'm suckered into seeing it...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...