Thursday, August 25, 2011

My Week with Marilyn

I'm endlessly fascinated with this film, and I can't quite shake, despite the fact that not so much as a trailer has been unleashed yet.  It's that old Hollywood mystique, and that glossy mystique that keeps me intrigued.  I love it when films play homage to the old way...where as Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard proclaimed ever so profoundly, "They had faces back then."  I think the last time Hollywood really stood rightfully back into its heyday was in the first act of The Aviator, of which were the grandest parts of the film-- the legend of Hepburn, Hell's Angels and all that jazz, pure bliss.  Who knows what will turn about here, but it's clear they're selling "Marilyn" and her grand allure moreso than anything else, and why not?  Here's hoping that one day the wonderfully gifted and ethereal Michelle Williams matches that allure.  Perhaps the biggest question mark of the fall movie season...The film is an account of on the set antics between Monroe and Laurence Olivier (played by Kenneth Branaugh) while shooting The Prince and the Showgirl.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...