- Sucker Punch- Zach Synder, he of the massively popular Spartan homoerotic epic 300 (2007), and the less popular, but more ambitious Watchmen (2009), and the even less popular children's picture Legends of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole (2010) returns with the heavily stylized girl prison\dragon fighting exploitation film. It stars Emily Browning, Abbie Cornish, Vanessa Hudgeons, Jena Malone, Carla Gugino and Jon Hamm. Who's curious? I think even if the film turns out to be awful, it will be so in such interesting ways.
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules- sequel to last year's springtime hit Diary of a Wimpy Kid. As a former wimpy kid, I have no interest in revisiting those days...
- Miral- The Weinstein Company waiting til now to release Julian Schnabel's at one point awards contender. Disastrous reviews at last years Venice Film Festival were likely the culprit for it's soft early spring opening. A drama centered around an orphaned Palestinian girl growing up in the wake of Arab-Israeli war and caught in the conflict. The film stars Freida Pinto (Slumdog Millionaire) and Hiam Abbass (The Visitor.)
- Potiche- French film directed by Francois Ozon (of the wonderful Under the Sand and the absurdly fun 8 Women) comes a retro comedy starring the grandest, Frenchest dame that ever was, Catherine Deneuve as a trophy wife prone to wearing track suits.
- White Irish Drinkers- 70s era crime film about two brothers plotting to rob a local theater on the night of a Rolling Stones concert.