Thursday, December 13, 2007

Golden Globe Nominations

The Hollywood Foreign Press has unleashed a doozy this morning, some choices are inspired in their daring, others just daring in their what the f#%@! Either this movie star rear kisser of an organization was smoking something or I don't know! Atonement leads the pack with 7 nominations!

BEST PICTURE (Drama)
American Gangster
Atonement
Eastern Promises
The Great Debaters
Michael Clayton
No Country For Old Men
There Will Be Blood
Seven nominees this year-- c'mon, HFPA be decisive, this is just crazy, lunacy, madness. Poor Into the Wild seems to be down for the count, while The Great Debaters is clearly the biggest surprise (are we ready for Oprah, Oscar winner!), but as long as my No Country is there, I'm happy...but c'mon, seven freaking nominees.

BEST PICTURE (Musical or Comedy)
Across the Universe
Charlie Wilson's War
Hairspray
Juno
Sweeney Tood
Wow! Oh my God! I one of the few who will rally behind the Across the Universe mention, even though I bet I'll be the only one (shocked I am), but cool, I feel vindicated for so voracously supporting a film that's a best picture contender (well, I know not really.) I still find it hard to fathom that Charlie Wilson's War is a considered a comedy, but whatevs. Sad to see The Savages, I'm Not There, and my beloved Once discarded, and a bit surprised Enchanted lost out but at least my Juno is there to rule the land.

BEST DIRECTOR
Tim Burton- Sweeney Todd
Ethan Coen & Joel Coen- No Country For Old Men
Julian Schnabel- The Diving Bell & the Butterfly
Ridley Scott- American Gangster
Joe Wright- Atonement

BEST ACTOR (Drama)
George Clooney- Michael Clayton
Daniel Day-Lewis- There Will Be Blood
James McAvoy- Atonement
Viggo Mortensen- Eastern Promises
Denzel Washington- American Gangster
So far the only catagory that makes sense, but I would have like to have Emile Hirsch recognized. Mortensen will probably be the only snubbed come Oscar time, but at least he got something- Eastern Promises is doing pretty well, thought everyone had forgotten already.

BEST ACTRESS (Drama)
Cate Blanchett- Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Julie Christie- Away From Her
Jodie Foster- The Brave One
Angelina Jolie- A Mighty Heart
Keira Knightley- Atonement
As expected, I suspose, just a rather dull category, and nominating Cate Blanchett for such a stupid movie just seems like typical HFPA ass kissing.

BEST ACTOR (Musical or Comedy)
Johnny Depp- Sweeney Todd
Ryan Gosling- Lars & the Real Girl
Tom Hanks- Charlie Wilson's War
Philip Seymour Hoffman- The Savages
John C. Rielly- Walk Hard
Not too bad I suspose-- John C. Rielly is the only surprise, but he's a lot better than my fear-- Jack Nicholson for The Bucket List, which looks awful-- how it NBR's top ten list I never want to know the answer to.

BEST ACTRESS (Musical or Comedy)
Amy Adams- Enchanted
Nikki Blonsky- Hairspray
Helena Bonham Carter- Sweeney Todd
Marion Cotillard- La Vie en Rose
Ellen Page- Juno
Why does everyone so far keep dismissing Laura Linney's wonderful work in The Savages, her partner Hoffman gets a nomination, but why not Linney-- it's her movie, she's great in it arrrgh! Amidst my bitterness, yay Ellen Page, go Juno!

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Casey Affleck- The Assassination of Jesse James
Javier Bardem- No Country For Old Men
Philip Seymour Hoffman- Charlie Wilson's War
John Travolta- Hairspray
Tom Wilkinson- Michael Clayton

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Cate Blanchett- I'm Not There
Julia Roberts- Charlie Wilson's War
Saoirse Ronan- Atonement
Amy Ryan- Gone Baby Gone
Tilda Swinton- Michael Clayton
Julia Roberts is the only shock-- and not really much of one-- the Globes love stars. Would have been real great to see Kelly MacDonald get some kudos for No Country, though.

BEST SCREENPLAY
Atonement- Christopher Hampton
Charlie Wilson's War- Aaron Sorkin
The Diving Bell & the Butterfly- Ronald Harwood
Juno- Diablo Cody
No Country For Old Men- Ethan Coen & Joel Coen

BEST FOREIGN FILM
4 Months, 3 Weeks & 2 Days
The Diving Bell & the Butterfly
The Kite Runner
Lust, Caution
Persepolis
I wasn't aware The Kite Runner was a foreign film!?!?!

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Bee Movie
Ratatouille
The Simpsons Movie

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Atonement- Dario Marianelli
Eastern Promises- Howard Shore
Grace Is Gone- Clint Eastwood
Into the Wild- Michael Brook, Kaki King & Eddie Vedder
The Kite Runner- Alberto Iglesias

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
"Despedida," Love in the Time of the Cholera
"Grace Is Gone," Grace Is Gone
"Guaranteed," Into the Wild
"That's How You Know," Enchanted
"Walk Hard," Walk Hard

And there are your 2008 Golden Globe nominations! Wow, I think I need a drink...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...