Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Best Director

And the nominees are:


Paul Thomas Anderson, There Will Be Blood
Ethan Coen & Joel Coen, No Country For Old Men
Tony Gilroy, Michael Clayton
Jason Reitman, Juno
Julian Schnabel, The Diving Bell & the Butterfly


This is a fine selection here. I want Anderson, the Coens, Reitman and Schnabel to share the prize, but there can be only one victor. Of course, I believe, the Coen Brothers will take it, but a case can be made for Anderson (Blood, I believe, is more a directorial triumph than a written one), Reitman (many people are bothered by his inclusion, but I protest, Juno is an accomplished comedy because of Reitman's pacing control and wonderous effect with ensembles) and Schnabel (for his riveting audacity to make a painful subject beautiful and poignant without ever getting sappy.) I would have enjoyed Tim Burton included here, but a bountiful selection like this (minus Gilroy) is a rare and amazing thing. Again, I feel, why complain?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...