Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Best Picture

And the nominees are:


Atonement
Juno
Michael Clayton
No Country For Old Men
There Will Be Blood


So, 2007 was a great year of American filmmaking, and the Oscar (with minor exceptions) did it right. To prove this point, this year the Academy acknowledged my three favorite movies of the year in the Best Picture category. This never happens. Last year, Children of Men was my favorite (and snubbed.) 2005, Brokeback Mountain was my favorite, which got the shaft in an event that disdains and maddens me to this day. 2004, Kill Bill: Volume Two and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind were the best, in my opinion, both of which pretty much ignored, the list goes on. This is a joyous occassion where the Academy selected artistic triumphs and while Atonement and Michael Clayton aren't my favorites (I'd pick I'm Not There, The Savages, The Darjeeling Limited, Once, Sweeney Todd, the list goes on...), it's still a terrific selection compared to many years of constant disapointment. No Country For Old Men, with it's plethora of awards (PGA, DGA, SAG, millions of critics prizes) that's on top, and rightfully so, but if there's a There Will Be Blood or Juno shocker, I'd be amazed and joyed at that. Right on, Academy, job well done for honoring artistically successful and real pieces of art. End scene.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...