Sunday, January 30, 2011

Directors Guild Awards


FEATURE FILM: Tom Hooper, The King's Speech
DOCUMENTARY FILM: Charles Ferguson, Inside Job


I'm shocked, I feel in need of deep emotional cleansing from the shock.  In a week of astonishing surprises (or non-surprises, I suppose they were reality checks, if nothing else), it appears that the king has spoken, and that's pretty much the end of the that one.  This must be the biggest surprise of all, since, while their was always the possibility that The King's Speech would win the top prize, one must assume that the utterly accomplished and brilliantly achieved technique of Mr. David Fincher would surely have seemed more impressive by his peers.  Let me state: The King's Speech is not a bad film, and certainly not an embarrassment, should the academy follow suit; it is however an overly pat one, and one I feel as though I've seen before, versus Fincher's The Social Network, which is startling, and fresh and jolting and alive, with the magic of an amazing script and spirited acting-- it's a hard, dense, challenging, magnificently structured piece of art, whereas The King's Speech is a pleasant crowdpleaser.  I suppose, I must accept the inevitable!

On a brighter note, Ferguson's Inside Job is worthier than worthy...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...