- Lixin Fan, Last Train Home
- Charles Ferguson, Inside Job
- Alex Gibney, Client 9: The Rise & Fall of Eliot Spitzer
- Davis Guggenheim, Waiting for 'Superman'
- Tim Hetherington & Sebastian Junger, Restrepo
Sounds about right, I suppose, but wouldn't it have been awfully cool and ballsy if the DGA went for Banksy for the free-associative pleasures of Exit Through the Gift Shop. For the record, my money is on Ferguson, whose masterful and painful Inside Job should be required viewing for every American, especially politicians.